Thursday, April 21, 2011

We have progress

Yesterday we had another ultrasound to see if my ovaries have decided to really participate in this program or not. After 16 days of injections I was certainly hoping that was the case because I am starting to feel like a pin cushion. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful there is something we can do to help us have a baby but getting poked in the belly everyday for over two weeks starts to wear on a girl.
So back to the ultrasound...I watch AM to see her facial expression when she is doing the ultrasound because I know she is as anxious as we are to have success. She always checks the uterine lining first to make sure it looks good...she wasn't smiling and it made me a little nervous. Then she looked at my right ovary and she said- that looks good...we have close to a 15mm follicle and bunch of little ones. I always have small cysts on my ovaries- that is just part of PCOS but with the injections there are some that are bigger because of the injections. She then moved to the left ovary and she smiled...she actually smiled! We have a 15mm follicle and a 16 mm follicle. This is such great news! I started crying out of shear joy that all of the injections had actually worked...s l o w l y but they worked. She instructed me to decrease my dose of injections to 75 iu a day instead of 225 iu because we don't want the follicles to go crazy. I have another appointment tomorrow for another- hopefully final- ultrasound before an IUI.
All of this is great news because we need to have at least an 18mm to do an IUI and we are edging ever closer to canceling this cycle if we didn't have some movement and growth in the follicles.

I missed writing about our last appointment when there was some growth and movement and the largest follicle- only one- was a 12mm. AM told us that there were several possibilities that could happen with the high does of injections I was getting.
Number one- we could get at least 3 good follicles and proceed as planned with the IUI.
Number 2- the follicles could go crazy and a lot could develop and be ready all at once. If that happened we would have two choices- extract the extra eggs. If there are more than three follicles they would extract any over three and proceed with the IUI and "save" the other eggs or switch to and IVF cycle which would mean extracting all of the eggs and then implanting 2-3. Number 3 canceling the cycle all together because we just simply didn't have mature enough follicles.
I seriously started stressing the minute we walked out the door of Dr. F's office wondering what we were going to do. This cycle has been so expensive already because of the injections. If we switched to an IVF cycle it would be an additional $3000. If we didn't see any more progress and had to cancel it would mean all of the medication this cycle was a waste. I asked JD to give me a blessing and afterward I felt so much better and knew that everything would work out just fine and we would be able to do what was best if we had to make a decision. Luckily at our appointment yesterday when I asked AM about all of it she said we weren't going to have to worry about doing anything but an IUI at this point based on what she saw in the ultrasound. If I have learned nothing else from this experience it is there is no guarantee about anything- it is all about how my body decides to participate. Here's to hoping that tomorrow these follicles are where they need to be and we don't have any surprises pop up that weren't there on Wednesday.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment