Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Waiting Game

Fair warning there may be information in this post that is to graphic for some. Consider yourself warned...
Yesterday was our IUI. It was much more simple than I anticipated- even with all the online research I have done and questions we have asked. I started the morning by taking a pregnancy AND ovulation test. Seems silly to take a pregnancy test but we had to make sure the HCG trigger shot from the before worked and that is how you test it. The ovulation test said we were at peak ovulation so basically- primed and ready to go! I was so excited to see that both test results were what they were supposed to be. I was a little worried me may need to cancel the IUI because JD had been sick with what we think was the flu but he was a trooper and said we needed to just move forward. We just hoped that him being sick didn't affect the results of his test later in the day.

JD had to go in to Dr. H's office two hours before my appointment to make his contribution. Besides being normal protocol for an IUI we were having a Kruger test done. This is to make sure that we don't have male fertility issues as well. Poor J.D. has been so stressed about what the results would be. Everything looked great! It was a relief to hear the news but even better was to see the relief on J.D.'s face. I asked him later why he was so worried about it and he said because he didn't want to be the reason I couldn't be a mom. I am so blessed- this man is always worried about me and what I want/need.
When we arrived for my appointment we were taken right back to the exam room and asked to read and sign a consent form- basically stating that there was no guarantee of pregnancy and the possibility and percentage of multiples that come from IUI and a bunch of other legal mumbo jumbo.

As we were sitting in the room waiting for the nurse to come in I made a comment in passing that I would just get up and leave if "K" the nurse practitioner that we don't care for came in the door instead of the nurse manager "H", who was supposed to do our insemination. Wouldn't you know that not a minute later a knock came on the door and "K" walked in. I couldn't believe my eyes for about 5 seconds then spoke up and said we want "H" to do the insemination. For anyone that knows me you know that I don't typically have issues with speaking my mind but in a doctor's office it seems that I become much more reserved--except in this case. She made a point of asking if there was a problem with her and I repeated several times we just wanted "H" and that was it. She left and got "H". I felt like such a baby but I started crying the second she closed door behind her. I know I am just very sensitive about working with especially since specifically requesting that she not be part of a care team anymore and have her walk in the room. "H" came in within a few minutes and all was well in our little world again. She just has a very calming personality- which is helpful for me. She gets that infertility struggle because she has been there and in my opinion she is just a great nurse. She went over the results of the Kruger test and then we reviewed exactly what we had done this cycle with medications and injections- just to make sure we were all on the same page. She then showed us the specimen, double checked the information and told us we were the only ones doing an IUI that day anyway so we knew it was ours and proceeded to do the insemination. It took about 10 minutes and was pretty simple and only slightly uncomfortable with a little bit of pressure.

Now the waiting game. We don't take a pregnancy test for two weeks, 14 days and right now that seems like an eternity. I'm glad I have school and work to keep me busy and my mind off it. I did read on our paperwork yesterday that taking a test within 11 days of the insemination may show a false positive because of the HCG trigger that we did the day before. So in 14 days I will be doing another pregnancy test and hopefully we will have a positive result. If so, we will head into Dr. H's office for a blood test to confirm the positive.

We are truly blessed and have felt the comfort and peace from each of you from your prayers, thoughts and kind words on our behalf. We are hopeful that this will be the only IUI we need to do but continue to be realistic that it may not be. There is a 20-30% chance of getting pregnant with an IUI with injections. Here's to hoping we are in that percentage. If not, we know that God knows better than we do what our situation is and what the solutions are for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment