Sunday, October 5, 2008

Clinic Internship

We started our clinic internship two weeks ago.  After the first week, I really wanted someone to just put me out of my misery.  I never realized how hard giving 4 massages could be on my body.  I left the clinic after week one nearly in tears. My wrist was on fire and ached like nothing I have ever felt before. I was assured by the clinic instructor that my wrist would be fine and just needed to be iced.  She also told me my body being sore was normal for a couple of weeks and then I would be acclimated to the work and be fine.  I had my right wrist on ice until last Tuesday and babied it all week at work so it wouldn't go into clinic this weekend sore.  

I am happy to report that this week I could have easily given 5 massages if there would have been bodies available.   We have 2 for 1 massages going on right now and it helps bring people in but by the end of the shift the bodies are limited.  I was very careful watching my body mechanics this week and if I started feeling any discomfort I made adjustments to get rid of the pain.  It is still fascinating to me that my body being slightly off can cause so much discomfort.  It just is proof positive that our alignment is essential to our body functioning properly.  It seems obvious now that I think about it on a daily basis but I never thought about it before.

My movement class this term has really made me very aware of my alignment and overall structure and how we compensate for dysfunction in other areas of our body.  Additionally, this same class has made me very comfortable with my body.  I wasn't completely uncomfortable with it before but we have to wear viewing clothes in this class and a classmate evaluates our structure in these clothes and they have to be able to see our hip and shoulder joints so you can imagine the lack of clothing that is involved but we are covered enough to be comfortable.

This week brings the third term at UCMT to a close with finals.  Tomorrow night is Movement, Tuesday is Sports Massage, Wednesday is Anatomy and Thursday is Cranial Sacral.  The classes seem to be getting more difficult the further we get along in the program.  I think it is because we are getting more specific in what we are studying.  I still love school but I'm looking forward to being done and having a few nights a week free again.  We are down to 20 weeks which almost sounds like an eternity to me but 2 terms seems so fast because the last 3 have gone so quickly.

PS.  The offer still stands if you need a massage give me a shout.  I'm sure we can make it work for both of our schedules.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. You are a tough farm girl from West Jefferson! I have complete confidence that you will always have enough strength to always perform you therapy sessions!!! If you are looking for clients I would be your biggest fan but I don't know if you have learned the "long distance" massage yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS You have been tagged...go to my blog! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...who knew it would be so tough...way to go!!

    Too bad I didn't know you were in Arizona when you were. But I do understand about getting out of the heat...it takes a toll on a person. Thank goodness it is finally cooling down!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete