Monday, September 22, 2008

Massage Research Project

I am so excited today for multiple reasons but I am going to write about only one tonight and it has to do with being able to use my skills as a massage therapist. (Did anyone else hear the voice of Napoleon Dynamite with that skills comment??)  
Anyway,  for my Pathology class we have had to research a topic that has to deal with massage therapy or something else that might interest us.  Well I of course chose massage therapy but more importantly the affects that massage therapy can have on someone with PCOS (Poly cystic Ovary Syndrome).  For those that don't know I have this condition and am trying to learn all I can about the condition and what things can help alleviate it.  So with that background and my excitement for the things I learn at school and sharing it with anyone that will listen.  I was talking to a girl at work who is quickly becoming a good friend and I was telling her about my research project and health condition.  She shared with me that she has endometriosis.  She had a surgery in February 2008 and she and her husband have been trying to get pregnant for nearly 2 years.  Ding, ding the light went on in my head and in hers at the same time and we decided to start our own little mini research project.  I am really hoping that I can help her with her journey to parenthood and I will gain some great experience in the process.  Additionally, I plan on attending nursing school once I'm done with massage therapy school and working with pregnant women and newborns in the NICU (at least that is my plan).  So this experience will be great to add to a resume and a nursing school application.
I am going to limit the history that I share of this girl on my blog because it is her health history not mine but I will be sharing some of what goes on in this project.  Our plan at this point is for me to perform two 30 minute reflexology sessions at work each week and then a regular massage on Fridays.  This regular massage will include cranial sacral therapy but primarily Swedish techniques.
I am so excited that she is willing to be my "lab rat" and fyi that is her term not mine and I really hope and pray that this will help her too.  Let me just say one more time...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE massage therapy and bodywork!!!

2 comments:

  1. First I just want to say that you are such the sweetest gal around! You always make such happy positive comments on my blog and I just love them! Secondly I have PCOS too! I would love to find out your findings on this research. I had to have certain treatments just to be able to get Carson our second. It is so frustrating to have a limitation! However it is always nice to find out new info on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are one busy lady! I did not know about the PCOS. Best of luck in your ventures!

    ReplyDelete