Friday, August 12, 2011

Grandma's Bible



Aunt Katie brought a bunch of treasures from grandma's house with her to Salmon last weekend. It was such a treat to look through and remember grandma using some of the things that were there and see pictures that brought back so many memories. Aunt Katie was so generous to let us look through the things that she brought and let us take our pick of the things that were there- a priceless treasure to have an opportunity like that. I have many wonderful things that I am so thrilled to have that bring back so many memories from childhood. I have several treasures and can't express enough gratitude to my Aunt Katie and her willingness to share these treasures with all of us!



However, the purpose of this post is about my grandma's Bible. I know it may sound silly but I never knew my grandma had a Bible because she never had it out nor did she preach to us in the traditional sense. She did teach us how to treat each other in her actions and words...such an amazing woman! I really wish that I could sit down and talk to her on these days that I struggle- she had such an amazing ability to calm my heart and mind.

Grandma was raised Catholic and was a practicing Catholic until an unfortunate interaction with a priest when she lived in Pocatello. I remember her telling me this story many times and how she was so shocked but the questions she was being asked about her relationship with grandpa and she always ended the story by saying "I'm not sure that old goat wasn't going to try and ask me on a date!" I was always shocked to hear the story but always laughed when she told it too. The sad part of the story is that such an important part of grandma's life had a door closed because of that single interaction. Grandma always taught me that going to church and being religious are not mutually exclusive. She always said she "had a little church in her heart." Her little church taught of love, acceptance and turning the other cheek...oh to be like my grandmother. In reality, my grandma was a woman with a prayer on her heart at all times. There were things that weighed heavy on her mind and heart and as much as we liked to tease her (and for good reason) that she worried too much I like to think she turned many of her worries over to God.

Anyway, while Aunt Katie and Uncle David were cleaning out grandma's house earlier this summer they found grandma's Bible with her name "Lois Ann" imprinted on it. They also found her rosary beads. I didn't know it until last weekend but grandma had requested at one point to be buried with her Bible but no one knew where it was. Well it is now found and luckily we were able to honor grandma's request.

When grandma passed in January the plot next to grandpa was selected as her final resting place. When they were digging the plot the skeletal remains of some unnamed person was found in the plot. So the decision was made to bury grandma in a plot where there would be a spot to move grandpa later so they could be side by side which meant grandpa would have to be moved. The later date to move grandpa was this past Monday. Aunt Katie made the trip to Dubois and placed grandma's Bible and rosary beads on top of grandpa's burial vault to be buried next to grandma. I can't help but believe that she would be pleased with how it all worked out.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment