Sunday, July 24, 2011

Gatorade and Protien shakes

In the spirit of keeping track of what goes on during our fertility treatments I am disclosing how rotten I have felt this past week. I am actually proud of myself for making it through four days of work. I didn't do it on my own of course because I have the best husband in the world! I don't know what I would do without him.
The first two days of last week weren't so bad. In fact, I actually made the dinners that JD had requested- one that I need to get posted to my recipe blog because we liked it so much. I started not feeling so great at work on Tuesday. Each day I just felt a little bit worse- my abdomen started to feel bloated and my female parts felt like they were floating in my abdomen- weird huh- you should feel it for yourself-it is odd and not very comfortable- driving over bumps on the road is TORTURE! To say I was a little edgy by Thursday/Friday at work would be an understatement because the symptoms didn't seem to be getting better no matter what I did.
I told JD on Wednesday morning that if I didn't feel better by Monday I was calling Dr. F's office to see if they could give me some answers but by Thursday morning I felt like I better make a call.
They suspect based on the information that I have given them that I may have a case of ovarian hyperstimulation- FANTASTIC...not! I was told to drink lots of fluids with electrolytes like Gatorade and drink protein shakes with 30g protein. I didn't ask why I just called JD and asked him to bring me some gatorade to work pronto. I was able to look up ovarian hyperstimulation online and it appears that it happens after the "trigger shot" of hCG- which makes a lot of sense because I felt fine until a day or so after the trigger shot. This same thing happened during IUI #2 but it wasn't as severe or uncomfortable. The good news is this doesn't mean that the IUI won't work, in fact it can be prolonged because it is the hCG that "caused" the issues and my body with start making hCG if I am pregnant. I'm actually so glad I have a job where I don't sit around a lot because right now when I sit down it causes me to not be able to breath very well- it works best if I am lying down because I can breath.
The worst part of all of this (besides feeling like a bloated cow) is that JD is worried and I can see it on his face. I can't seem to get comfortable and when I start to cry he does everything he can think of to help me be comfortable. He went shopping at Costco- on a Saturday when it seems they are the busiest-which he HATES- just to get protein shakes that I like. He bought 20 bottles of gatorade and keeps reminding me to drink it. The poor guy I'm sure feels helpless but I couldn't do this without him- how I got so lucky is a mystery to me even now.
I know this too shall pass and it will be a faint memory eventually but right now I'm going to drink some more gatorade.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Melissa!!! We talked to JD on Saturday about all this. I'm so sorry you are in pain. Hopefully this is a good sign and everything is working correctly. We are praying for you and JD. He's such a great guy! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete