Friday, April 8, 2011

Political opinion

We are facing a federal government shutdown if our elected leaders can't find a way to compromise by midnight tonight. After doing some research I found out this isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened. In fact, in 1995 the government "shut down" for nearly 2 weeks. I guess since I was a senior in high school I didn't pay attention to the news and in reality I didn't think it affected me at the time so I don't remember it happening.
I am concerned for those that I know that may be affected in a more direct way if this shutdown does happen. I have friends that are serving in the military and the concern is they will not get paid for the service they are providing. Military families don't make a lot of money to begin with, then throw this on top of that- not a pretty picture. The claim is there will be a "delay" in being paid if the government may be shut down. I just heard that even if the government shuts down that we still have to file our taxes on time- even though the IRS is a federal agency and they won't be processing tax returns. I realize this shutdown may only be for a short period of time but it seems pathetic to me that the federal government expects it's citizens to be more responsible than it is willing to be...unbelievable but not uncommon.
Another reason I have an interest in what is going on beyond the impact this shut down could have down the road is one of the "sticking points" that is causing this budget to not get passed. Planned Parenthood is a federally supported program and the Republicans are saying they don't think it is right for the federal government to pay for people to have abortions. I will stand up right now and say I could not agree more! I understand there are circumstances that may make abortions "necessary" but that isn't the point here- the point is that our government is willing to pay for abortions. WHAT THE...???
Please explain to me how that is not a lifestyle choice...I think it is much more of a lifestyle choice than our desire to have a child and not being able to have one without medical assistance. I am told that the fertility treatments we are going through right now are not covered by insurance because it is a lifestyle choice. Adding insult to injury- I pay taxes and the fact that my tax dollars may pay for someone to have an abortion that is paid for by MY hard earned money makes me sick and ANGRY!

To say there is injustice in this is an understatement!

Praying for our leaders to find a solution.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment