Saturday, January 22, 2011

In Memory of Lois Ann Maloney Sullivan- My gramma

Grandma at her "90th" birthday party-
She kept telling us she was 90 even though she was only turning 88.

Grandma and her grand kids (except Jared) at her "90th" birthday party

Grandma and her kids- Frank w/ Lisa (L) and Kathy w/ David (R)
Grandma and her great grandchildren

My grandma passed away this morning, January 22, 2011. She was 88 years old, an amazing woman and leaves so many good memories for me to help remember her.
I have cried as I have been thinking about her this morning. I am not crying because I am sad, she was ready to go and because I knew she was ready I was able to say good bye and not be sad (mostly). I am so grateful at times like this that I know about the plan of salvation- this isn't the end but more of a pause for a short time- in the grand scheme of things. I am at peace because I know she is with her husband again and it kind of makes me chuckle inside (more than a little) when I think if she followed through on her threat of punching grandpa in the nose when she saw him again or if she really gave him a big hug- I'm going to go with the hug simply because I know this wonderful woman and how much she missed her sweetheart.
My grandma was a wonderful woman who I had the pleasure to spend a lot of time with during my growing up years. I was lucky enough to live just down the road from she and my grandpa for as long as I remember. She was one of my best friends and I always knew I could count on her when it felt like I couldn't count on anyone else. She taught me how to cook and how to take care of a husband. She always made sure to bring home a treat for grandpa when she went to town- that could mean strawberries (his favorite), a candy bar or a bag of chips. She taught me to be hospitable to everyone that came to my home. One of the things that she talked about often in the past few years was how much she missed being able to cook for people and she was so happy that everyone knew they would have a good meal if they came to the Sullivan Ranch.
My grandma taught me that being religious and going to church are not mutually exclusive. One of the important first lessons I learned from her growing up in a small community where religion was a dividing line. I loved sitting and talking at the kitchen table with her.
My cousin, Andy summarized perfectly the feelings I have had the past few days as I have been thinking of the life my grandma led and the legacy she leaves behind...
Sadness coupled with a sense of peace. She lived a long, meaningful life. A lucky and grieving (granddaughter), grateful I had the chance to be taken care of, learn from and enjoy the company of such a lovely lady.
My grandma, Lois Ann Maloney Sullivan with be forever in my heart and forever in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment