Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Simple Phone call

I have been struggling with the nurse practitioner at Dr. H's office that I have been assigned to. I don't know if she is new at her job or just a complete bobble head but she has missed the mark with every appointment. From not returning urgent calls when I was having a strange reaction to medication to not giving me correct dosing information during our next cycle that we are about to start. During a couple of appointments I had to tell her the same information several times. I started wondering if this was all my imagination until I talked to J.D. about it and he confirmed that he was surprised how many times she asked me the same questions during the appointments he has gone to with me. I finally hit my breaking point today after I got an email response from her asking for clarification on injection amounts for this cycle. The information she had given me over the phone was different by a significant amount than what her email stated. When I asked for clarification her response was "I'm glad we could accommodate your desire to do injections this cycle but all of the confusion would have been avoided if you would have had a consult with the doctor."
I had never up to this point been told I needed to have a special injection consult with the doctor. I am more than happy to jump through the hoops for this but this is new information to me. Anyway, I was shocked by her response and quite frankly was ready to throw my hands in the air and just find a new doctor.
My wonderful husband told me that he thought it best to just call them and explain what was going on request that we work with a different nurse practitioner or at least not have to work with this one. Well I made the call and talked to the receptionist first who is always very helpful. She connected me with the nurse manager, Heather. This wonderful nurse/woman put me at ease. She told me a consult wasn't necessary and apologized that our experience had been so rough up to this point. She was so kind to go over everything with me again to make sure that I understood what I needed and even sent me an email with her direct contact information so if I have any other questions or concerns after this. I can't express adequately what a weight was lifted off my shoulders after talking to her. That simple phone call solved in 10 minutes something that has been bothering me for 3 months.
I am so grateful for a wise husband and his counsel and the understanding of a nurse that really gets it. Amazing what a simple phone call can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment