Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Amazing Dr. H

Yesterday was our first appointment with the amazing Dr. H. To say we were impressed with him would be an understatement. As we were going over our medical histories and more specifically my previous medical records from other doctors I have seen in the last 5 years or so he was inquiring about medications that I had taken. One of these records was from when I lived in Arizona and the medication he asked me about I couldn't remember why I had taken it. He wasn't certain what it was- well he said he thought he knew but was surprised that it would be prescribed to me- so he looked it up. I know that probably seems like such a little thing but the answer to that one question led to him asking more questions that led to some more answers and additional blood work being done yesterday.
Dr. H was so honest but caring in his approach. He doesn't fill you with false hope but he is confident in his knowledge and abilities to help us conceive. I showed him a basal temperature chart that I had kept from another doctor I visited shortly after J.D. and I got married. Needless to say my body just doesn't function properly which means this chart is basically useless. When I showed it to Dr. H, I told him that is one of the reasons I threw my hands in the air and said to myself "I guess I just won't ever get pregnant because they can't seem to help me." His response put my heart at ease..."well they just didn't have the right tools or training." We spend nearly 2 hours with Dr. H, asking questions and getting general information about my condition and what we do next.
So yesterday I was like a vampire's victim but I survived. I think I counted right- they took 6 viles of blood. They also did a fasting glucose test so I had to drink this AWFUL thick, sweet, lemon-limey flavored stuff that the phlebotomist called "Glu-cola" which cracked me up because no "cola" I have ever tasted even the non-diet stuff tastes like this stuff. Two hours after our appointment I had to go back and have another vile of blood drawn...that's right folks...7 viles total in one day- I don't know how much that really is all together but when you see all of them sitting next to you and you know it is YOUR blood, it looks like A LOT!
So the next part of all this...I am taking medication now to help me ovulate like I need to (if that is too much for you readers to know, too bad, this blog is for me more than you and I want to look back someday and remember what happened to get my children here...fingers crossed.)
Anyway, I just got off the phone with the Dr. H's office and apparently I have hypothyroidism which means my thyroid isn't functioning properly which in turn can cause my body to not ovulate like it is supposed to. I am very hopeful this will be the missing piece in our infertility puzzle. I will be back to see Dr. H and/or his staff in the next month for some more tests to make sure that the medication is having the right effect and JD will have some testing done too before the end of the month.
It was so comforting to have J.D. with me yesterday. When we walked out of Dr. H's office he said "This just feels right!" It certainly does feel right- although honestly when I really start to think that this really could lead to us becoming parents I get a little bit overwhelmed and wonder if I am really ready for that and wonder if I am going to be a good enough mom. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.
This experience reminds me so much of talks from General Conference this past weekend. I recall several talks that we were counseled to act and not be acted upon. That is what I am choosing to do right now...be active in what is going on with my life and body.

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Honey words cannot express how excited I am for you guys!!! I am SO glad you found someone that YOU feel will help you. If it bugs other people for you to talk about this on your blog, forget them! I WANT TO KNOW!! Keep the posts coming and I will keep my fingers, toes, and hairs crossed for you two!! By the way, you know how to love and make sacrifices for your hubby, right? Then you'll make an AWESOME parent!! Love you guys and will keep you in my prayers!! GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so happy! I have had that same amazing experience and connection with a doctor and it soooo helps! YAYAY!!! So glad you have better and more answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I am so happy for you guys. I am sure it is a relief to feel like you have answers and new hope. A few years ago we found out that I had a thyroid problem, it took awhile to get the dose regulated for my body and the Dr never said if that specifically had anything to do with my infertility, but we now have Beckham. Just saying...... :) Love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for inviting me to see your blog. Sounds like you guys are in great hands with this new doctor. I hope things go really well in the coming months and that a little miracle comes your way soon.

    ReplyDelete