Thursday, October 14, 2010

Listen to a Prophets Voice

A few weeks before General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints my stake in Pleasant Grove had our Stake Conference. This stake conference was really more of a regional conference with over 160 stakes in Utah and Summit County participating in two sessions on Sunday.
On the Saturday before the regional broadcast, J.D. and I attended the adult session that was just for our stake. It was interesting to both of us that all of the talks during that session were focused on listening to our prophets. We were told that hard times were coming, harder even than the trials that our pioneer ancestors faced. I remember looking at J.D. and wondering what was to come but in the same thought re-committing myself to follow the voice of the prophets. I wondered what we would hear in a few weeks when General Conference was to take place in Salt Lake City.
Again, on Saturday with some of the talks I looked as J.D. and said, "what is going to happen? There is something big coming." When I listened to this talk from President Boyd K. Packer.
I thought nothing of it beyond instruction that was given to us by a servant of God. Unfortunately many people took offense to what President Packer said during his talk at General Conference and there have been protests at Temple Square in Salt Lake City and many gay and lesbian groups are requesting he change his talk and say that the Church hates anyone that is gay or lesbian. That is not the case and President Packer was only stating again what has been said many times before that marriage is between a man and a woman.
Now I understand why we were being instructed as we were. It's interesting to me that many times during our stake conference it was stated that they didn't know what was going to be presented during General Conference but that the men and women that speak are called of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment