Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's Official

WE'RE ENGAGED!!!!
The date has changed to March 28, 2009 at The Historic Shelton in Idaho Falls!
For those of you that have been wondering and following my love story with J.D. we have some exciting news. We are engaged! I posted a picture so you can see the mystery man that I have been gushing about. It is a picture of us at Zion's National Park over the Thanksgiving weekend. It was absolutely beautiful and I like this picture of us. (No we were not intending to match in the picture but everyone likes to point out we are "matchy-matchy")
I know my girlfriends are just dying to hear the story of how he proposed... so here goes. It is finals week at school and most of my classes have a written and a practical test. However, on Tuesday I had my pathology final and that class doesn't have a practical test. I hadn't missed any Pathology lectures so after I was done with the written final I was able to leave. J.D. and I had planned ahead to go to see the lights at Temple Square that night. We had talked about going a few times before Tuesday but the First Presidency Christmas Devotional was one Sunday and The MOTAB Christmas Concert was the next Saturday so we decided to not go down with all the craziness and crowds on those days.

Since it was Finals week and I wanted a break from studying Tuesday seemed like a great night to go. J.D. had his company party that night that I wasn't able to attend because of school so he drove up to Salt Lake after his party and after I was done with class. We met at my apartment and drove to Temple Square. He had his camera with him and handed it to me to take pictures because he said I take better pictures...I don't if that's true but who was I to argue. The lights were absolutely beautiful but it was ooooh so cold. We walked by the big nativity scene by the North visitors center and circled around in that area. I wanted something to warm up so we went to the street vendor and go me some hot spiced cider...YUMMY!

We walked back in the South gates and took some pictures of the temple with the sparkly lights there then headed out to the reflecting pool and up by the Church office building. It never occurred to me that there were lights and nativity scenes and such up by the Church office building but some of my favorite stuff was up there. So we proceeded up to the fountain by the Church office building. If you haven't seen the "bags" they have in the area around that with cut out scenes you need to go see them...they are beautiful! Anyway, we got to the east side of the fountain and no one was there but us. J.D. asked me to take a picture of the temple including the lights on either side of the lawn area going towards the temple. So I climbed up on the ledge of the fountain and took a picture- which turned out really nice. When I turned around my J.D. had a big smile on his face and was holding up the ring and asked me to be his wife. I was so excited! I knew it was coming sometime soon but he did such a great job surprising me!

I requested that when he proposed that we not have a crowd around so we don't have a picture of us right after the proposal but I do have a picture of us at Temple Square that night. They are on J.D.'s camera so I will have to upload them later. I can't express how grateful I am for such a wonderful man. I am adding a picture of my beautiful ring both in the box and on my hand. J.D. said it fits my hand perfectly and I couldn't agree more. How lucky am I!!?!!

This is not a great picture as I took it with my camera phone. But you get the idea. I sent this to my mom and sister and promptly got calls from both of them that I needed to be wearing it.

So this is the ring on my hand...where it will always be! Again, not the best picture because it was taken with my cell phone but you can at least see the ring.

We have set the date for March 21, 2009. We are going to look at sites this weekend while we are in Idaho celebrating Christmas with my family. I am really leaning towards the Historic Shelton Chapel & Reception Center. I just love the look of the building and grounds. One of my sister's friends had a reception there and I fell in love with it when I saw it 6 years ago. More info will be coming, I promise!

Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. YAY! I am so very happy for you! Tell JD he is getting one of West Jeff's finest! Keep me posted on all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! I couldn't be more excited for you! :) Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again, Cuz. I loved your story and the ring is gorgeous. Jenna got married at the Shelton-it is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY YAY YAY!! The ring is gorgeous!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Melissa! Your ring is beautiful and it does look great on you! Congratulations! I'm so very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete