Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Adios 2008...here WE come 2009!

At the end of 2008 as I reflect on the past 12 months I am in awe of all that has changed in my life. I made decisions in the early part of the year that will and have already affected the rest of my life. I returned to Utah after living in Arizona for 18 months and managing the Modern Exposition office there. When I left that company and the job I was scared to death that I was making the wrong decision but ultimately it has been one of the best I have ever made. I started massage therapy school at UCMT in Salt Lake one day after my last event with Modern Expo and haven't looked back. My decision to attend massage therapy school was a long time coming. I have made some lifelong friends while in school and more importantly made time for me and for living life since I started school. In that process, I met the most amazing and wonderful man that in just 86 short days I will get to call my husband for the rest of forever!
I never expected the decision to leave behind a job and go back to school would lead to such wonderful things in my life. I have been blessed to be a member of a family that has always supported me and for that I could never be grateful enough...thanks Dad and Mom for always supporting me even when you didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel that I thought I could catch a glimpse of. You have always been my best cheerleadears and I can't thank you enough.

This year has had some scary parts too...mom's snowmobile accident last April will not soon be forgotten. I am so grateful that she is such a fighter and is alive and kicking today. Just yesterday she had another surgery to fix her hand that hasn't been working properly since last April and the accident. What a woman! I'm so glad you're a fighter mom! Mom is frustrated with her recovery but we keep reminding her that she has come a long way. Although I have to say I would be just as frustrated if I was in her shoes.

My dad who is always my inspiration to try harder and have fun. Dad taught me to work and in the past 10 years he has taught me the importance of enjoying life too not just working yourself to death. I remember talking to him about leaving my job with Modern. He said, "If you enjoy what you do you will never work a day in your life." That is great wisdom dad. I have found in my time working at the student clinic on Saturdays that I love the art of massage. I love to help people and make them feel better. I feel better when I do it and I am so grateful for the quiet advice you give to me. I love you more than I can express in mere words.

I am so grateful for a sister and brother in law with whom I shared an apartment in Salt Lake for 6 months when I moved back to Utah. I thought Tiff had lost her mind when she asked me about living together to save money but I gained so much more than financial benefit from the situation. I got to see them work at their relationship on a daily basis that has helped prepare me for my future. I am so grateful to a wonderful brother in law, Ryan, who is a perfect match for my sister and such a good example. I sure do love you guys and I can't wait to meet that cute little nephew of mine that is scheduled to arrive in May. HOORAY for another nephew and he is going to be a heart breaker!

For my J.D... I don't know how I got so lucky to find such a wonderful man that loves me more than I ever thought possible. I want to be a better person when I am with you and I look forward to many more tomorrows with you. Only 86 days, sweetheart! YIPPEE!! Thank you for being my inspiration to be a better person and encouraging in my dreams... you are the best!

Last night was the farewell to 2008 and while it was a wonderful year for me I know that it was a rough one for many others. I hope and pray that 2009 will be just a wonderful year for everyone.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. What a cute post! I am so excited for your 2009 as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep saying this but I think that you deserve all of the happiness you have found and so much more. I am so excited for you and so very happy for you! You are such an inspiration of living and loving it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa I just got through reading some of your posts and it sounds like you are doing sooo good!! Congratulations on your up coming wedding!! I am happy for you!! Hope you have a happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete