Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Brussels Sprouts & the Eternal Perspective

I was just searching around and snooping in blogs of people I don't know but know people that I know and came across this analogy of dating.  It made me laugh out loudDating is like going to a restaurant. Not just any restaurant, but one that all of my friends (married friends) have told me has the best filet mignon and creme brule. And I "just have to go." (Plus, it's a commandment, so I really do have to go anyway.) So I put on my best dress, pull up my hair, splash on my fanciest makeup and head to the restaurant with eager anticipation. 

As I walk into the restaurant, the waiter seats me and I order my steak and dessert to follow. Meanwhile, I look around at everyone relishing their filet mignon and creme brule and my mouth waters in anticipation. Butterflies flutter in my stomach and I can hardly wait for the tasty treat. Finally, the waiter brings me my plate which, much to my dismay, is not filet mignon, but brussel sprouts! I HATE brussel sprouts! Sorely disappointed, I leave the restaurant to tell my friends about the experience. 

"How did it go?," they ask, blissfully holding the hands of their spouses. 

"Not well," I respond. "Not only did I not get the juicy, flavorful beef and the creamy, sweet dessert that I ordered, but I got slimey, puke-green vegetables that taste like dirt instead!" 

"Well, that happens to almost everyone at least once," they say. "Sometimes you have to go back several times, but it's worth it in the end."

So I go back. The same thing happens again- brussel sprouts instead of my fillet mignon! With stubborn determination I keep going back to the restaurant again and again, seeing the other customers enjoying their meals and hoping for some savory delights of my own. Unfortunately, the same result follows each time. 

And although the green little devils are prepared in different ways each time, (because everyone is different), - in a buttery sauce, in a shower of paprika, or a la parmesano oregano- I still hate them. No gravy, sauce or spice can cover up the flavor of dirt. 

Quite frankly, I'm just not hungry anymore.

**********
I was so happy when I found this when going through my post drafts tonight.  I remembered seeing this and thought I had lost it.  The funniest thing is I actually like brussel sprouts as long as they aren't over cooked so for me this might have to be spinach or some other similar icky substance.
One day I will find the fillet mignon (this comment is especially funny because some singles wards are referred to as meat markets) that is just right for me. Until then I'm going to enjoy checking the menu, hopefully more frequently than in the past.  Who knows I may decide I like the sirloin more than the fillet in the end.  LOL

4 comments:

  1. What a FUNNY/creative senerio! Fun post.
    So funny you just said that about my sister in law cuz she wrote me about a week ago telling me the same thing! I have been meaning to email you to mention it to you! She is a little rock star, that LeAnn. She is so sweet and we just love her to pieces! I think she is in Alazka right now! She is one you oughta make good pals with, she goes on all sorts of fun trips!
    How fun, if ya see her sooner than me tell her HI from her FAVORITE sister in law! (hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. I just may have to write it down and post it to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that makes me laugh so hard. I keep telling my sister in law that same thing, keep going back...I will have to tell her that story...

    ReplyDelete