Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thankful

I love fall! I love the crisp air and the sound of leaves crunching under my feet as I am walking around campus. I love that this time of year means time with family...well two months in a row anyway. I love this time of year because I met my wonderful husband in the fall (well early October) two years ago. We have made a lot of memories since then.
I especially love this month because I always remember to be especially thankful during the November. I have been updating my Facebook page daily writing what I am thankful for and wanted to share those things here too.
November 3-
Today I am grateful for the lessons that taught me to take responsibility for my actions and not blame everyone else for the things that go "wrong" in my life.


This was after spending 12 hours in a room with a patient at work that was on suicide watch. He was frustrated and angry at the whole world for the place he was at in his life...even the person that found him out of it on the railroad tracks and called the paramedics that saved his life. I was floored when he told me that. I just hope that he eventually learns that we make our own happiness and can't rely on someone else to do it for us.

November 4-
Today I am grateful for good insurance. The past month has been expensive but insurance sure helps take the sting out of it.

If you have read the past few posts on our blog this will make much more sense.

November 5-
Today I am grateful that my husband and I both have jobs. On my way to work listening to KSL they were talking about the unemployment rates...YIKES!


In addition, I might I add I'm glad I was taught at a young age how to work and that working- no matter what you do (seriously folks- I wipe noses and butts at work most days) is good for you.

November 6- apparently I was especially thankful this day...
Today I am grateful for people that say thank you.
If memory serves I was sitting with a patient all day (12 hours) and was on bed rest which in her case meant flat on her back because she was leaking cerebral spinal fluid from a dural tear in her spine (talk about putting life into perspective)...anyway, she just said thank you so many times through the day for the little things I was able to help her with from opening salt and pepper packets to cutting up her food so she could eat it...even laughing with her because of the "silly" way she had to do things because of her bed rest. I was even able to give her a hand and foot massage and she just kept saying how nice it was to have that done. I learned much from that woman that day...thank you patient in room 1421.

Today I am grateful for a husband that does laundry and cleans the house while I am at work AND he had time to geek out (three laptops on the coffee table at once...not kidding) and watch football too.

It is so nice to have a husband that doesn't look at housework at the "wife's job" and just lays around the house when he isn't at work. I am so blessed- more than I deserve much of the time- to have married such an amazing man and true partner. He even vacuumed the floors and he never does that. I'm telling you- I am BLESSED!!

November 7-
Today I am grateful for a day of rest and especially excited for tomorrow and cross training in maternity at work.

Simple enough I think.
The cross training is something I have wanted to do since I started my job but they weren't sure they had enough budget money left to let me orient with the maternity units. I was told two weeks ago I was approved to do so and I am beyond thrilled.

November 8-

Today I am thankful I got that HORRIBLE fish oil smell out of my scrubs. It took lemon juice, baking soda, vinegar, dish soap, borax and a run on the sanitary cycle in the washer to get it out but it is now GONE!


So I take a multi-vitamin everyday and it is a liquid formula so it has fish oil in it. I used to take it later in the day because I can't take it with my synthroid in the morning. Weeeeellllll, one day I forgot to take the pill and it got washed and dried and in the dryer (we are guessing) it melted and the fish oil stuck to the pocket of the scrub pants I was wearing that day. I noticed a funny smell on the scrubs when I grabbed them from the drawer one morning when I was getting dressed but I couldn't figure out what it was and thought maybe it was something in my drawer and put on those scrubs again. ALL DAY I was smelling this awful fish oil smell (did I mention that I HATE FISH).
I'm sure I was quite a sight because I kept smelling my scrub top and under my arms (I know that sounds ridiculous) but couldn't figure out what was going on. When I got home I put my hand in the pants pocket and felt a buildup and had an ah ha moment...finally! I smelled the pocket and sure enough THAT was what I had been smelling all day long...it was terrible. I'm glad I didn't figure it out at work or the smell I'm sure would have become suddenly worse. I'm just glad the smell is now gone!

November 9-
Today I am grateful I got to drive my hubby to work. It was so nice to have that 20 extra minutes to talk to each other rather than running out the door in opposite directions.

The antifreeze overflow tank on the Durango got a crack in it and was leaking so we took it to the shop last night so they could take a look at it and fix it. We decided today would be the best day because of my work and school schedule to make it possible. I just love having time to talk to my hubby. In reality, we spend a lot of time together but we are usually busy with one project or another. Our mornings usually start at about 5:15 and we are always busy getting ready and doing our morning routine so not much talking because of the shower or hair dryer, etc. I loved being about to laugh at the DJ's on the radio and discuss what they were talking about on KSL this morning while I drove him to work.

Although I am still wondering what on earth was going on across the street at Provo College when I dropped him off this morning. There were three fire engines- one with a ladder, two ambulances and several police cars. Students were standing on the sidewalk and I'm pretty sure there was police tape up. I checked with J.D. later and he said it looked like it was business as usual later in the morning...does that seem weird to anyone else??

No comments:

Post a Comment