Monday, September 27, 2010

Never say never

I have always said I would never be a runner. When I worked at Massage Envy I would tell the runners that I would work on to run a mile in my honor because I would never be running in a race and really the only reason I would ever run is if a bear was chasing me. Today I'm eating my words.
My sister called me tonight and asked me if I wanted to train for a 5K with her. My first reaction was to laugh and remind her I'm not a runner. She claims she isn't either. WHATEVER! She said she didn't start running until she was on her mission. Ok I'll give her that. I actually think she enjoys running. When she was pregnant with her little boy she ran up until about a month before she had him..wow!
I have had many roommates and one that I remember would go running whenever she was stressed about school and couldn't focus. When she would come back from a run she was always able to re-focus and have a smile on her face. I always wanted to have an activity that would give me that same results. I do like to work out. There is nothing like the feel of sore muscles after a good workout.
I am now committed. I am starting tomorrow before I go to school and work. The timing is perfect because I just wrote down some goals for an assignment in one of my classes and it included being physically active for 30 minutes at least 3 times per week. The training program that we are following is exactly that...it is Couch Potato to 5K...you can find anything on the internet.
I don't know that I will love running when it is all said and done but I'm going to do it and I'm going to finish this 5K.
Thanks to my sister for always being there to light a fire under me and encouraging me to try something new. She is such a good example in so many areas of life and I appreciate her excitement for life and trying new things.

Let the running begin!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment