Sunday, June 21, 2009

Put your thinking caps on...

Ok gang...not sure who really reads this but I am enlisting your help. I need to get a business license to practice massage privately and I am hitting a wall in every direction trying to come up with a name for my business. These are a few things to keep in mind when thinking of a name...

- The types of massage I will be practicing- deep tissue, pre-natal, structural integration (10 sessions to put your body back where it belongs), injury, reflexology, cranial sacral, hydrostone (hot and cold stone). I will also offer some body wraps- they are AMAZING! Eventually lymphatic drainage will be part of this list but I haven't recieved that training yet.

- I will be using essential oils in my practice as well. Not with everyone but there are definately benefits and I want to incorporate that.

- While I do want to offer a relaxing environment and maybe one day bring in an esthitician to work with me for now it will be me but I want the business to be able to function with multiple facets at some point (JD thought of Simply Massage and while I like the name it doesn't bring it all together) Additionally, it won't be like a spa environment in that type of relaxation. It will be more "clinical" in nature. My goal is to help my clients feel better. I want them to walk away feeling better than they did when they got on my massage table. (I know you are thinking it isn't possible to feel worse after a massage but I PROMISE you that it is possible- I have experienced it first hand...NOT FUN!!)

- I actually like using the name bodywork or bodyworks in the name of the business somehow since it isn't just massage as people typically think of it but helping the body function as a whole unit the way it is meant too.

Let me just throw in here for good measure how amazing our bodies are. I am doing the Master Bodyworker classes right now at UCMT and oh my goodness is it amazing. I'm turing into kind of an anatomy geek. I can see even more ways to help people that I know personally with issues they are having physically. I don't look at people the same way anymore. It may sound odd but I look at dysfuntions of the body now and work through a protocol in my head of how I would help them. For the mommy's out there...lympathic drainage is awesome stuff as well as structural integration...wowza!

I am submitting an application to set up a booth at the Pleasant Grove Promenade that takes place every Thursday for 4 hours. It is a farmer's market type event to help build my client list so I can start working for myself instead of someone else. I need to have a business name so I can register with the state of Utah and City of Pleasant Grove to make it happen.

Thank you all for any ideas that you will send my way. I hope this gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm working on my mission statement now. Well I guess I have it written above but I need to condense it down so it is a quick read.

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...my cap is on, I have a feeling it is going to take a bit. Let me get back to you on this...hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetie! I love that you are doing this line of work. It is amazing! . . . My friend Blaine is awesome & he has helped me so much especially after having a child. It's crazy the story your body tells if only people knew. I wish you lived closer!!!! I'll totally have 2 schedule a time & come down & have you work on me. :) As far as a name goes, I think that Tranquil Mending Massage Therapy would be a very applicable name for your nature of business . . . but that's just a suggestion. Good luck w/ the search. Hope everything else is going well. We ran into your mom last night in West. It was crazy to run into her up there. We had been @ the West rodeo & stopped @ the Gusher afterwards for some pizza. I love all you guys! Everyone of you have made me feel so welcomed in the family. Thanks so much for that. Love you, & good luck w/ everything.

    Kensie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name game!Hmmm...You could go with "Me time with Mel" or... "Melage" (it's Melissa and message in one, pronounced with a French accent).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of these suggestions get a little long, but maybe it will get your mind going in the right direction to come up with the name YOU love!

    Healing Hands

    Body Restoration Through Massage

    Bodyworks Therapeutic Massage

    Beneficial Bodyworks

    Body Wellness With Massage

    Good Luck - Let us know what you decide on!

    ReplyDelete