Thursday, May 14, 2009

Back to school...

It is ridiculous how much I don't really care for change but how I can keep it coming at nearly constant pace in my life. I have wanted to take the classes to become a Master Bodyworker at UCMT for quite some time. It hit me really hard at the end of my professional program that I wanted to do it but I couldn't seem to figure out how I was going to make it happen and keep a job because the program is during the day only.

Who wants to hire someone that is only available a few days a week? (I'm still wondering that as I am looking for a massage position that fits me and will fit my schedule) A few weeks after JD and I were married we were talking about school and what our goals were for school and I told him that I wanted to do this master's program but I was worried about the job situation and I would have to leave my current job as an administrative assistant to make it possible because it was only during the day that the classes I need to take are offered. Granted the program is only 10 weeks and it is only 4 days per week for the first 3 weeks then it is only 3 days per week but I am one who has always had a job that was 40 plus hours per week and a "guaranteed" paycheck every pay period. Well enter CHANGE...I put in my notice at my current job several weeks ago, enrolled in the Master Bodywork program and will start school again for 10 weeks on May 26. I am so excited to go back to school and make this dream come true. I am even more excited and grateful that I have married such a wonderful man that makes it possible for me to follow my dreams and encourages me to follow them. When I get stressed about how everything will work out he is cool as a cucumber and says it will be just fine and not to worry about it. Some how that seems to work and when I get scared again he is right there still cheering me on and encouraging and telling me it will be ok and I know it will.

Now on to the massage therapist job search...it has been an interesting experience. You may or may not know that when a massage therapist applies for a job it isn't the typical face to face hand over your resume interview- it also includes a hands on massage session. Honestly, as much as I love to talk I love to give a massage more so that part of the interview if my favorite. Every company or group is different how they do it too.

Last Saturday I spent 3 hours in the breezeway at a COSTCO in West Valley City, UT doing chair massages and helping the company I was interviewing with promote their new business that is opening in mid- June. Now I was raised to be honest and I had this nagging feeling working there last Saturday that these fellas may not be the most honest guys I had ever met. I expressed my concern about telling people about what I was supposed to tell people while I was massaging them because I didn't know anything about the business besides the 2-3 minutes they had told me about it when I got there. One of the owners actually said to me, "Don't worry about it just tell them whatever because people forget 70% of what you tell them anyway." YIKES!! This threw up a big red flag but I finished up the interview and by the end the owners had offered me a position at their Medical Spa. However, a big portion of it would be selling a coupon to get people to come into the business and try out the other products. Now don't get me wrong I'm a team player and I'm willing to jump in and help but that was to be my main focus. I just didn't feel good about it but I wanted to talk to JD before I made any decisions. I went home and explained it to him and he said it didn't sound right to him either and he knows my passion is for massage, so I opted out of that offer. An interesting addition to this is my friend from school who set up the interview for me and was to be their spa director isn't going to be working for them either because everything they had previously agreed to they had backed out on... I am so glad I have that voice inside me that I listen too (most of the time).
The second interview was this past Tuesday at a place only 10 minutes from our home in Pleasant Grove. It is a very flexible schedule and they are willing to work with my school schedule and seemed to be impressed with my desire to continue learning more massage modalities and that I was close by. My hands on massage for them only lasted 15 minutes...very limited. I loved it! The office just felt right...it felt good...it felt like a place I should be. I am in a holding pattern now waiting to hear back from them. A good plug for us farm kids from Idaho that like to make connections with our little towns...the owner grew up in St Anthony and used to pheasant hunt in Mud Lake...I love making those connections especially in an interview- it always seems to give you a leg up somehow- let's hope it happens that way this time.
Finally, I am applying for a teaching assistant position at the UCMT campuses in Salt Lake City and Lindon. Although I will be in school all day I won't be in class at night and both campuses offer night classes and I want to be in that environment again (even after I'm done with Master's)...I always learned more when I was explaining a technique or concept to someone else and I love UCMT and the instructors and TA's I had were awesome...I want to be able to help someone else find their passion like those people did for me.

So my plea to each of you that read this is please pray that I am able to find a job that will be wonderful and work for me and JD...that will allow me to do what I love (and miss so much) and will be flexible for 10 short weeks while I add to my menu of services available.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment