Thursday, September 15, 2011

Choosing My Trials

JD and I have friends that have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of their twin daughters. They went through fertility treatments and on their third IUI they had success and found out they were going to have twins. That is news that I always hoped to hear, in reality I still hope to hear even though it won't be me that carries those twins, most likely.
They went into the hospital on Wednesday to be induced since the girls didn't come on their own. I just found out this morning that C had to have an emergency c-section this morning after laboring all day yesterday and through the night and immediately after delivery had no measurable pulse and had to receive 5 units of blood and be transferred to the ICU at another hospital. Thankfully she is doing better now and is even awake but what a terrifying thing to have happen to you when it should be one of the happiest days of your life and then have it take such a dramatic turn in the other direction. From all indications both girls are doing well. I work at the hospital where they were delivered and I am so glad I will be working tonight and will hopefully get to see J and meet their daughters and before they go home.
As I have been keeping up on what has been going on with J and C this morning via Facebook and the events that have transpired in the last few hours for them I can't help but think again that I am glad I don't get get choose my trials. This is certainly not one that I would choose. I actually mentioned to some of my co-workers last week that I am learning to be grateful that we are adopting rather than continuing to pursue fertility treatments because of the things that I have seen some of these moms go through in the few months that I have worked on the mom/baby unit. This is the second time I have seen a new mom go to the ICU following an emergency c-section, obviously the odds are rare since I have seen many, many new moms without complications. I remember that the Lord works in mysterious ways and obviously I have to be taught in different ways to appreciate the blessings and trials that I have.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment