Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Honesty, Awareness and Compassion

The other day I had the greatest experience in my massage therapy class.  Let me back up and give you a little history.  We talk about the tripod of Honesty, Awareness and Compassion when practicing massage. I love that tripod and I am becoming more comfortable with it in practicing massage with each person I am able to give a massage to.  We partner with different people in our class, all different body types, personalities and injuries that you have to be aware of.    For those that know me at all, you are aware that I am a touchy person.   I like to hug, grab on the arm when I'm talking or just a gentle slug to the arm if we're playing around.  That is just the kind of girl I have always been and will always be... I hope!  Anyway, I like being touched too.  It is important to me and so I absolutely love receiving massages and I'm learning the healing part of touch too and how important a selfless touch is to other people. So that brings me to what happened in class the other day.  

Believe it or not we can and do create a sense of beingness with the client (classmate) we are working on even with 20 other tables set up in the same room.  I was able to really, REALLY experience when working on my classmate the other day.  I could just sense that he needed the touch that I was able to provide on Monday.  I have been in tune with the classmates I've worked on before but I really EXPERIENCED it on Monday.  I couldn't be more grateful for the experience.  It is really hard to explain what it feels like... kind of like you can feel what that person is feeling but not taking on the feelings as your own.  The feeling that you know that this is exactly what they needed and you have helped them heal in some way, however small it may have been.  

Needless to say I am still loving massage therapy school.  I'm really digging my Anatomy class right now.  I especially like the cadaver lab when I get to see and feel the actual muscles we are learning about and working on in class.  Acupressure is a little rough for me- I'm not gonna lie! It's a little bit too unbelievable for me. I'm trying to get it and understand better how and why it "works" but it's still pretty out there for me.  I also found out last night that I will start clinical internship on September 27.  I am so excited for that day to come but nervous at the same time.  I will be working on the general public then.  Please call me and set up a time for me to work on you now before clinical start.  
Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you had that experience! I hope that you will become a traveling massage therapist because I would be your top client. Maybe if I set you up with one of Jay's single but not LDS co-workers you could give me a credit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to do out calls once I'm licensed and I love to travel so we may have a deal. I graduate in March so you have time to introduce these non-LDS guys to the church by then...get to work! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa!! I am so glad I found your blog!!! You made me homesick when you talk about Idaho.

    ReplyDelete